Wednesday, January 1, 2014

We all started somewhere

The new year is upon us and we have all made resolutions goals or promises to ourselves. Whether it's a start to a new journey or just an extension of it, we have to remember that we all started somewhere.

I hear a lot of people saying they hope to do this or hope to accomplish that. I feel that saying "I wish" or "I hope" is like leaving yourself a way out.  I know this first hand. I had always said in the past that i wish I could do this or hope to do that and nine out of ten times I never did it. The first step for me was realizing that there was a need for change. I was 35 years old and morbidly obese (386lbs). I had no idea what to do or how to do it. I just knew that I had to do something before I killed myself. I started walking. I couldn't walk very far at first but everyday I would walk a step further than I did the day before. Each time I went for a walk I would try and beat my distance and time from the day before. I changed the way I ate. I started logging my food into my fitness pal app on my phone. This made me more aware of what I was putting in my body. Each day it would get easier and easier to go further and further. I turned into a contest.  I was only competing against myself.
     In the beginning I told myself I was going to lose 100 lbs in a year.  This was my major goal. I would give myself smaller goals to attain along the way. I had daily weekly and monthly goals that would lead up to quarterly goals.  I had little rewards along the way that I would for.  It's important to keep yourself motivated.  It can be as  small as a cheat meal a pair of shoes a tattoo anything that will motivate you to keep going.  For me I found motivation in my children. I wanted to come home from work and have the energy to play with them with out getting winded. The thought of of dying at a young age and leaving my children with out a father. 



   On March 10,2013 I had my final weigh in for my year goal.  Not only did I lose the 100 lbs but I exceeded it by 25lbs.  I wasn't the strongest or the fastest in the gym.  I didn't have six pack abs or 20 inch biceps but what I did have was a sense of self accomplishment. I made a promise to myself and stuck to it.  The path was not smooth by any means. It was not just a physical journey I was on but a mental one as well. I had to deal with old demons I had thought I had gotten rid of long ago. There where times I wanted to quit.  There where times where I didn't stick to my meal plans. There were times I hit the snooze button and went back to bed.  There were plenty of times where my mind would say what the hell are you doing to yourself.  But each day is a new beginning.  Each day is a new day to make ourselves better if we choose to do so. You need to make sure that you surround yourself with positive thinking people.  People that want nothing but the best for you.  People that are negative or that try to make you waiver on what you want are not people you want to have on your team.  

    I have surrounded myself with a great support system.  From my wife to my trainer Bill Sienerth to people I consider on my team I have never meet before like Kelly Olexa (fitfluential) I know that they care and want the best for me.  My trainer Bill Sienerth has not only helped me change my physical appreance but also my mental outlook on life.  I believe that this journey is more mental than it is physical.  All we have to do is believe that we can be great.  And being great doesn't necessarily mean that you are the greatest at what we do but just a greater version of who we can be. Allow yourself to dream big and take that first step faith to accomplish the goals you set for 2014. One of my goals is to get my 5k under 38 minutes.  I just recently got my best time to 40:42. I also want to be able bench my body weight by summer time. Considering I'm still losing weight this will be a little easier as time goes on. Set small goals to achieve your big goals and you will eventually hit them. Never give up always remember you are worth the effort.  It not going to happen over night and it will take time and hard work.  The end reward is so worth it and this is just the beginning for me. The picture below was march 10,2012 to dec 30,2013


No comments:

Post a Comment